Sunday 20 December 2009

It can't be long until they catch up with me [- Chrome fanfic

It can't be long until they catch up with me. Bloody psychers. Don't believe the "truth". Psycore is alive and well. And they're hunting me. I don't know why, I've never been a psycher. I bought into the public truth that psychers are no longer a threat to society, and that Psycore was disbanded. I laughed at the man who wanted a neural web. It seemed as crazy as wanting a tinfoil hat. I'm certainly not a psycher. Well, I think I'm not. And I'm pretty sure I've never met a psycher. I've definitely not hidden one.

They think they're subtle, but I've seen the signs. It started with whispers in my room. Bloody telepaths are too loud. They can speak directly into your mind. Evidently they sometimes forget to turn the volume down. This was the first sign they were on my case.

They watch you through the plugs you know. Tiny, tiny microphones and pinhole cameras running on a net based on psyonics, not the shadownet. I got a special scanner down the market. They all lit up. They're watching me, and I don't know why.

I started looking for a neural web. Nice and discretely. They were watching after all. If psycore are after you then you need to improve your willpower. Not that it'll make a difference in the end. They'll get me and mind-rape my corpse and then feed it to the recyc. It's not fair. I bought into the public truth that psycore are gone and psychers aren't a threat to society. I've never harboured a psycher. I'm not a psycher. Why are they picking on me?

My work started suffering. I moved downhive to try to sink into the crowd. Disappear into the mess of bodies that is the underhive. Buy myself more time. They can follow you anywhe, of course. Maybe I should go outside and join the outsiders. I know officially there's nobody out there, but I was in a marketplace and an outsider came in, peddling old tech. Maybe I can get him to sneak me out. Will psycore go outside, to the bleak and miserable radioactive landscape? Dare I go into it?

I daren't use my chip in case they find me. Thankfully, I know things, and cash is still in supply down here. The work I'm doing isn't what I'm used to, but I have to make sacrifices to stay alive a little longer. I also had to get rid of my MedEvac insurance band. I'm sure that they can track me through that. It's only supposed to talk to MedEvac, but I'm sure that with their gross psyonics they can fix that problem.

They started putting thoughts in my mind. Scary thoughts. Thoughts that I should kill myself. I guess this is one of the ways they work. Implant thoughts. No forensics then. "Death by suicide" the reports would read. And no inquiry into why this person committed suicide. Wouldn't even make the news. I bet it's happened hundreds of times and they get away with it.

They won't get away with it with me. I'm sending this report of what's happening to me to the newsies. If I mysteriously die then they got me. No, not "if", "when". When I mysteriously die, they got to me.

Maybe you think I'm crazy. Maybe I am. Maybe they've driven me to the brink of insanity. Maybe everything I've done has been planned out by them and I'm just fulfilling the sick fantasy of some psycher. I don't know any more. I can't cope with their voices in my head much longer. I need a better neural web. I know they officially don't exist, but I know a man who knows a man.

Maybe I'm crazy, but you won't think that when they come for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.